Carpenter Apprenticeship in Melbourne is an on-job training program. A carpenter Apprentice is infamous in producing the experienced and a licensed carpenter. In this training program, the internee learns the basic carpentry skills such as: how to read blueprints, to identify which tool will be the best for the job, how to measure and cut the wood into pieces and how to assemble those pieces to form a finished product. During the apprenticeship job the internee has the following duties;
- Cleaning up the debris from the area of construction
- To retrieve the tools
- To refill the pouch for their teachers, that means for fully qualified and experienced carpenters
- With the time and work under the supervision of senior and fully qualified carpenters
- The know-how of manages time and how to deal with the different problems in the field
- They are getting familiar with the tools used in the carpenter shop
This internship is very useful because the apprentice carpenter will perform work that need more skills and experience.
If you want to become an apprentice carpenter, then you should have a Diploma in high school. You can also apply for technical college or carpenter ship programs that are sponsored by a local union or carpenter association. On the job as a carpenter apprenticeship, you will learn how to use different tools and cutting of wood pieces and then join them to produce a fine product. Most apprenticeships require a certain number of hours to consider it as done, or over 2000 hours of paid training is required to advance further.
Steps to become a carpenter
Those who work in building and construction wish to become a fully qualified and experienced carpenter to achieve more business and industrial benefits. Here are some steps you have to follow to enroll in the carpenter apprenticeship;
- First, enroll in Certificate III and then complete the course
- Find the best employer with whom you can complete your apprenticeship
- Complete Certificate IV or Diploma in Building and Construction or site Management
- Finally, apply for your builder’s license or registration through the state of regulating the body
What is the Job of Carpenter Apprenticeship?
Do you want to become a carpenter apprentice without knowing its job? It is quite astonishing, the carpenter shop is an idea about working with your hands, customised building structures, and to spend quality time on site to get some practical experience, all these check boxes are ticked by Carpenter Apprenticeship. Let’s look at what specific jobs belong to Carpenter Apprenticeship;
- To read blueprints
- To choose and select the best timber for materials
- To measure wood accurately
- To cut the wood into equal pieces
- To assemble these cut pieces of wood into a finished product
- To create item like tables, chairs, and cabinets
- To nail all the panels together
- To fix the exterior wall cladding and to make window frames
- To inspect the structures and diagnose the problem
- To repair and made alterations
These are some of the most important jobs that are performed by carpenter apprentice; he must be perfect in performing these tasks with perfection and neatness.
It is the beauty of apprenticeship that it provides you the opportunity to earn money all the time. According to pay scale, the average daily wages of a carpenter is
- $15 to $21 per hour
- $22660 to $47,010 per year
Keep this fact in your mind that your wage will be increased during the carpenter apprenticeship program. You will either move to the next level of pay scale depending on how much experienced you are or how many competencies you show.
Once you have completed your apprenticeship, you will be a fully qualified carpenter, which means now you can earn more and more amount of money per day and per year as well. Depending on how many competencies you have to do your work.
After completing your apprentice carpenter ship, it doesn’t mean that you have gained all the benefits, but the wise decision is not to stop there. Move to the next level and apply for the Certificate III in Building Construction and Site management. After enrolling and completing this diploma you are eligible to apply in Certificate IV in building and construction site management.